Error: The following error(s) have occurred:
  • You must enter a keyword.

Trending Questions

  • I submitted my FAFSA; what happens next?

    If you submitted your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online using FAFSA on the Web, then the U.S. Department of Education will process your application within 3-5 days. If you submitted a paper FAFSA, your application will be processed within 7-10 days.

    Once your application is processed, you will receive a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR), which summarizes the information you provided on your FAFSA. Review your SAR and make sure all of the information is complete and accurate.

    If there is any missing or incorrect information, then you should complete or correct your FAFSA as soon as possible.

    Your SAR will include your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC determines your eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant, and the college uses the EFC to assess your eligibility for other federal and nonfederal student aid.

    Once your FAFSA is processed by Federal Student Aid, your SAR is made available to the colleges that you listed on your FAFSA. Each college will use the information on your SAR to determine your eligibility for federal and nonfederal student aid. The colleges you listed are responsible for creating your award package and disbursing your financial aid. However, listing a college on your FAFSA is generally not sufficient to receive aid at that college, as most colleges do not create award packages for every applicant who lists the college on a FAFSA.

    You should contact the financial aid office at the college you plan to attend to find out if there are additional requirements for receiving financial aid and to learn more about the process of applying for aid at that college.

  • What is the difference between a Password and PIN?

    You create a password when you begin a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a correction. You can use the password to return and complete a saved application or correction if you do not finish it in one session. Be sure to sign and submit your FAFSA or correction or your school(s) will not have access to the information. Once you submit your application, that password is no longer valid. If you forget your password, you can reset it by clicking "I Forgot My Password" on the Login page.

    A Federal Student Aid PIN is a 4-digit numeric code or 6-digit alphabetic code that is uniquely assigned to a student or parent to access Federal Student Aid Web sites and to sign a FAFSA. Your PIN is a legal signature and should not be shared with anyone including family members or staff at your school. Only the PIN owner should know or use the PIN.

    If you do not already have a PIN and would like to apply for one, click "Apply For A PIN" on the PIN Home Page.

    If you already have a PIN but have forgotten it and would like to request a duplicate, click "Request A Duplicate PIN" on the PIN Home Page.

  • I filled out my FAFSA and have decided to transfer/withdraw from college. What should I do?

    If you transfer to a different college, your federal aid does not transfer with you. You will need to add the new college’s Federal School Code to your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

    To add colleges after you have already submitted your FAFSA, click the Login button on the home page and log into FAFSA on the Web. Click Make FAFSA Corrections, and then navigate to the "School Selection" page.

    Note: You will need to check with the financial aid office at your new college to find out how much financial aid you are eligible to receive when you transfer.

    If you receive federal student aid (except for Federal Work-Study) and you withdraw from college, a portion of the funds may need to be returned by you or your college.

    For more information about your college’s return-of-aid policy, contact the financial aid office at your college.

  • What is Verification?

    Verification is a process where your college confirms the data reported on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your college has the authority to request documentation that supports income and other information that you reported on your FAFSA.

    Note: Your Financial Aid Administrator at your college may make corrections or updates to your FAFSA based on the documentation you provided to them during the verification process.

    For more information about verification, contact the financial aid office at your college.

  • What if I forgot my PIN?

    If you have lost or forgotten your PIN, you need to request a duplicate. To do so, visit the PIN Home Page and select Request A Duplicate PIN from the list of options on the left side of the page. You will need to provide your challenge answer to request a duplicate PIN.

    When requesting a duplicate PIN, you can choose to either instantly view your PIN online or immediately receive an e-mail containing a hyperlink to your PIN.

    If you think your PIN was compromised (i.e., you think someone else knows it), then you should not request a duplicate PIN; instead, you should change your PIN. You can choose your own new PIN, or we can randomly generate one for you. To change your PIN, select Change My PIN from the list of options on the left side of the PIN Home Page.

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Try searching help.

Making Corrections

Already submitted your FAFSA and need to make a correction? Get help submitting a correction, adding a school, viewing or printing your Student Aid Report (SAR), and more.

Next Steps

You've submitted your FAFSA; what happens next? Understand your expected family contribution (EFC), your Student Aid Report (SAR), and next steps.

Contact Us

More Help Options

Didn't find an answer to your question? Contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center.

Chat with Us

Chat with Us:

Chat live with a customer service representative in a secure online chat session.


Call Us

Call Us:

Talk with a customer service representative over the phone. Our automated telephone service is always available.

1-800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 319-337-5665
Hearing impaired? Call the TTY line: 1-800-730-8913

E-mail Us

E-mail Us:

Use the online form to ask your question, send us your comments, and/or alert us to a technical issue you are having. One of our customer service representatives will reply back via e-mail. Or you can e-mail us at We’ll respond within one business day.